Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wikibooks

In looking at some of the various Wikimedia projects I decided to check out Wikibooks. I chose it because I love to read and thought it would be interesting to see what they actually did.

Wikibooks launched in 2003 as project to host and build free textbooks. I was grateful I had already read DI's suggested article on "copyleft" and "creative commons" licensing so I had a little more of an idea of what they were talking about.

Basically Wikibooks hosts some original books as well as free content books found on the internet. They work on the same concept as all the other wiki projects in that anyone can come in and alter or add information.

I checked out the humanities section and was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much there. They have a small section dedicated to technical theatre, but at least the information is pretty accurate. I have a lot of friends that I will now direct to this project to help add better content. I think that if people continue to update and information this would be a very useful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment