Monday, February 15, 2010

Second life thoughts

The other night we all met in Second Life to learn more about how to maneuver our way around. I really liked actually getting to meet my classmates, since this will probably be the closest we get to truly meeting.

I now have a better sense of what SL can be used for. When I first entered, I really had no idea what to do with my avatar. I knew I really wanted to change clothes, which took a while to figure out. I had more fun the second time I visited because I met up with Kelly and it was more fun to explore with a buddy.

So it was really great when DI gave us his list to help us find ways of moving around. I really like his explanation of ignore and explore. I think that was my biggest take away. I don't have to decide to give up reality for a virtual world, but I can use it to explores things that I would never get to do in my real life, well at least not easily.

I was pretty fascinated by meeting Von Fosse. I never expected to meet someone 72 years old who was obviously really involved with SL. She had even gotten married to someone through SL. I have to say I wondered if she had met this person in reality or they really just chatted online. I am not sure what that says though if you are willing to share so much with someone that you would marry them in another world, but not in reality. I am trying not to judge, but it does make me curious about the though process.

I am not sure I see the use of this as a learning tool other than to break out and learn to explore. It is somewhat useful for meeting as a class, but there are other tools out there that could possibly do that without as much spacial limitations. We did seem rather crowded in DI's world. I am looking forward to exploring other countries and hopefully learning things that I didn't before.

So while I am not sure that I will continue living a double life after this class, it will be fun exploring and getting to know my classmates in a way that email just doesn't quite afford.


No comments:

Post a Comment