Friday, February 5, 2010

Communication

Is there such a thing as too much communication?

When I first started this class, I thought perhaps maybe there was.

I was overwhelmed by the amount of postings. Most of which I did not understand their purpose. I felt lost for the first few days, but as we all started settling in, the discussion started to take direction and information was being passed along quickly and easily.

So, this morning when I checked my emails, I was shocked to find there were no new posts. I began to wonder is there such a thing as communication overload withdrawal? I didn't seem to know what to think as I stared at my empty mail box - well perhaps not empty but nothing new and shiny.

What I find so interesting this semester is the major difference in communication between my Web 2.0 class and my Multimedia 5200 class. This class communicates so much more, about everything. Yes, most every post has something to do with web 2.0, but not always something specific to a class related task, just a good sharing of information.

In my other class, it seems people don't want to post or something. There seem to only be a few of us who try to post things, mostly questions hoping that others will respond, but no one really does.

For a class that has a very detailed syllabus and timeline, there is very little communication going on, especially about class expectations or projects. Whereas this class began with no set goals or syllabus much less a timeline, and there is far more sharing and collaborating happening. I don't know if it is because due to the free form format we all just felt we needed to share and have kept doing so, or if it is just a different class dynamic.

I haven't decided if I prefer one "method" over the other as of yet. I can say I like the written timeline of things to do so I can plan and prepare for the other class, but I truly miss class interaction. In this class, I miss the lack of more structure and knowing what is to come, but I absolutely love the collaboration that is happening and it does seem to help make up for the moments I feel a little lost. Someone always helps me find the breadcrumbs.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoy reading your blog entries. I have and do feel so much of what you had put down in words. Great job.

    ReplyDelete