Thursday, February 18, 2010

A penny for my thoughts....

I have been thinking about this for a while. I am a little more used to the set up of this class. I still find it a bit frustrating to not know what really lies ahead. Most weeks I feel rushed trying to get the "assignments" done and that I don't really know if I am doing them well, but I am pretty sure I would get some input if I was really doing that poorly.

I think I am still trying to find my purpose in this class. I now seem to have knowledge new tools and applications, but I still don't really know what to do with them. I have learned more about Youtube and why it is more than just a site to look up funny videos. I have used Wikipedia often, even before this class, but I tend to go to it for information, not feel that I have something to add to it. I like using Google Image Labler, but mostly because it is fun more than because I am helping make the web a little more organized, although that is a nice side effect. So far Google Wave seems like a combination of AIM and Google Docs, but without the some of the good parts. I understand it it is still being developed, but have to admit it so far has been a bit of a bummer.

I have decided that while Moodle's layout is very easy and overall user friendly, I have problems locating the newest posts so I can respond to them in a timely fashion. I spend so much time looking at each topic and trying to locate the newest additions that by the time I find the post I wanted to respond to I have kind of lost my train of thought, or at least my energy.

I like Google groups because it sends you emails and you can respond from your email. Each email also has the correct name of the thread in the subject so you could find it should you go to the group page and want to respond. Moodle sends out an e-mail, but it isn't easy to know what heading the subject was under to find it and respond (see previous paragraph).

I know more people have been responsive than I have. I love reading everyone's posts and blogs, but right now I feel like a sponge. I am just absorbing the information, analyzing it and what to do with it. I don't always feel like I have something valid to say, and I am pretty sure it isn't good netiquette to just write "cool" or something like that as a response. I often find articles while at work that I find interesting, but I cannot access the Google groups page from work to post it, so I have started using Google buzz, but but not sure how many of our class is using that regularly.

I do feel that I am not sure where I am supposed to be posting regularly. I don't mind using all the different sites, I just get worried that I might miss something important. So far it seems there is no real activity on our Ning page. I know we are going to add even more places that we are supposed to post and network on at some point, I just hope I can keep up with it.

I wonder if it would be worth taking turns using the sites. Perhaps saying that for a few days or a week we are only posting to Google groups, or Ning, whichever DI or the class chooses so that we are in a sense forced to try to use the tool and all its capabilities. I think I might actually like that instead of just getting a sampling of a lot of things; learn to actually use a few things really well.

I think that is what I am looking for. I would like to be familiar with as many tools that are out there, but I want know how to use them really well. For me that might really be choosing a select few and really setting my mind to finding out what they can do. I have begun with some of the suggestions DI made about utilizing my Gmail account to help filter all my email accounts. It has become a blessing and I am starting to find more ways to keep things where I would like to find them as references.

Another tool I have really liked using is Wordle. I think I mostly like it because it is fun to use; but I have found that it may be a really useful tool in some of the team and one on one coaching and consulting my department does.

So maybe I have just found my purpose for this class. Hmm, perhaps blogging has a purpose after all:) I think my MBTI personality is at a slight disadvantage with this type of class; it moves a bit faster than my processing skills are use to. So while I might be a little behind or slow to respond, I will get to the finish line and enjoy the scenery along the way.


6 comments:

  1. Karyn, one thing I found useful in keeping up with new posts is using the Full Report Recent Activity link just above the words New Forum Posts: on the course web site. The link leads to a filter that will allow you to see posts for a certain time frame and it also lists the posts in their respective categories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karyn, I have the personality that likes to know what is coming next since I tend to have to plan getting most of my work done on the weekends and I feel just like you do- a little bit rushed. Great thoughts in this blog posting- I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete