Thursday, April 15, 2010

maps to adventure



I used to spend my summers working in Ogden, UT for a small summer stock theatre. At the beginning of each summer I would plot my route, pack up my cats and head west. Most times I did the drive by myself, so I would try to find things along the way to make the drive worth it.

This route is similar to the one I normally took, but I added some stops that I would like to make if I did this trip again.

First stop would be Louisville, KY, home of the Kentucky Derby. The one time I tried to stop there to tour Churchill Downs, they were actually closed for some fund raiser. The next stop would be Santa Claus, IN. It looks like a neat little place and they have an amusement park. Third stop would be Hastings, NE, home of the Kool-Aid museum. I have always wanted to stop there just to check it out. Could stop in Omaha to see the largest ball of stamps too. Last stop Ogden, UT.

I often find some of the places to stop from RoadsideAmerica.com. Completely random things.

I have used Mapquest and Google maps for some time. I love road trips and finding new routes. They are both pretty easy to use. You can just type in your destinations and they plot the route. You can also set some parameters to include avoiding toll roads and other things like that. Once the map route is shown, you can even drag the line on the map around to change your route.

I don't use mapping sites as much anymore now that I have access to GPS.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a trip I could get into! I love the touristy stuff, and now that I know there is a Kool-aid museum, I must go. Do they give free samples?

    ReplyDelete