Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rehearsals continue

So our cast has changed a few times over the last week. The kid I mentioned in the previous blog who is the protagonist of the show, has dropped out. While he doesn't mind having his story told, he just can't be the one to tell it right now. He was really having a struggle with this decision, he didn't want to let everyone down by not performing. The group was really great with the support they gave him and he will come to the performance.

We also had another young girl drop out because her mother felt she should be getting something from participating. So we have had to do some last minute recasting by calling friends to see who is available.

On Sunday we actually tried running the entire show. The first half was really pretty good, most everyone knows their lines and their blocking (stage movement). But we hit about mid script and it all kind of fell apart. We aren't too suprised, but the cast is a bit worried. At last night's rehearsal someone actually asked me if I thought we were going to be able to pull this off. I said I really thought we could. The great thing about this story is no one knows it, so if someone messes up the audience won't know. The words and the people saying them are powerful. The cast is very supportive of each other and it is funny to see how people know other people's lines and help cue them when someone gets lost.

Kathy, the director, asked me if I was enjoying the process since it is so different from working in the professional settings I am used to. I told her it was great. While I wish there were more structure, we can never seem to start on time, the cast is so excited about the project it makes all the difference. Professional actors are often excited about a role, but not to the extent that this group is. They are personally invested, even those that were just brought in to the group. It isn't that they want to create theatre that is Broadway worthy, they want to tell an important story so that it is heard.

I really think this is something I would love to continue doing. I get to choose the shows I would like to be involved with because they mean something to me. In past I worked on whatever shows were chosen for the season. I think I could return to enjoying stage managing for groups that have passion to present things that could mean more than just getting butts in seats and making money. (not to say all comercial theatre is just about making money, it just plays a bigger role)

Shameless plug: The show performs for two nights, April 9th and 10th at The Arts Center in Carrboro. If you are in the area, please come.

No comments:

Post a Comment